Re: Question: gnome packages and apt

Hi!

On 28-Sep-98 Daniel Martin wrote:
> Nathan Sandver <nsandver@poboxes.com> writes:

> A while ago, when I decided to upgrade all my gnome packages, there
> was one of the gnome packages that was mysteriously help back.  I
> later discovered that this was because the new version of whatever
> package it was that was being held back required a new version of some
> other package that wasn't available yet.  (so that if I upgraded,
> dependencies would be broken, but if I held this one package back,
> they wouldn't)

I think dselect and/or apt gives a message
like "package foo depends on bar, but bar
isn't available" in such cases. But I did not
receive a message this time.

However, I checked all dependencies of libgnome0
manually. Every package libgnome0 depends on
is already installed with a sufficient version.

> Anyway, I suspect that the new versions of the gnome stuff requires
> either some package which isn't available or isn't selected (might
> these packages depend on gtk1.1, which you haven't chosen to install
> as the earlier versions didn't require it?)

In that case dselect should list the missing
package in the "dependency error window".
Anyway .. as I wrote above: All dependencies
are met.

Any other ideas?

---
  Florian Hinzmann               f.hinzmann@public.uni-hamburg.de
                                 fh@dipa.de, fh@debian.org
NEW PGP-Key fingerprint: DD 61 74 34 04 FB 8A BD  43 54 83 38 0C 82 EF B1