Re: Alternative Debian Logo licensing mechanism

On Fri 25 Sep 1998, Christian Leutloff wrote:

> why can't the Debian logo used everywhere? I'd like to see our
> original unmodified logo *everywhere*! Why not?

Yeah, me too. I find it rediculous that I'm not allowed to put the logo
on my home page to show the world I support debian, for example.  I'd
also like things like "debian inside" stickers to put on machines I've
installed with debian.  It's not like this gives anyone to misuse debian
to make money; if a pc shop sells more pc's because they preinstall
linux and make it clear that they used debian by displaying the logo,
what's the harm in that?

I've been following the whole logo licensing thing now for a long time,
with increasing amazement... It's OK to promote DFSG software, but the
logo needs to be restricted in the extreme?

> We can protect special derivates for "Official Debian CDs", "Powered
> by", "Best used with", "Runs with" and so on. The protection would
> ensure that "Official Debian CDs" are met by our standards and our
> customers can buy any "Official Debian CD" and know that they can an
> easy to install and use GNU/Linux distribution.

Put the logo and a (heavily protected) "officially approved"
addition on them.  That way the logo is free, but the "officially
approved" part is not, to protect against the possibility of out
good name getting hurt by bad cd's etc.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org