Re: Back to RedHat

On Thu, Sep 24, 1998 at 01:29:25PM -0700, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
> > > 2) Few (if any) duplicate functionality packages.  For instance, Debian
> > > comes with like 7 mail-delivery-agents.  What's with that?  To a new user,
> > > it's not clear which is best, and at times, even that you can only choose
>
> Now this point was the one that really got me! DIVERSITY!!
>
> If you don't like DIVERSITY, freedom of choice, maybe you should stick with M$?
> They will ram there OS down your trough, and you don't have any thing to say
> about that.

Yes diversity is nice , but it would be very nice to have some document describing the relative merits of each package and when to use this one or rather this other for what you need.

> > > *one*.  Also, there are 3 different mutually exclusive ways to install the
> > > gtk libs.  (???)
>
> So? It's gets installed, right? Isn't that what you wanted? Why should it matter
> that it can be installed in '3 different mutually exclusive ways'?

but again, some documentation would be nice, and some centralized comparation, not each package saying this is the nicest package for blabla, without mentioning the other packages.

> > > 3) Whittle down the number of packages.  At last count the main tree had
> > > 1713 packages in it.  It takes many hours to sift through that list and
> > > decide what to install.  And after doing so, you simply can't remember all
> > > the "neato" little things you installed.  I saw mention recently of trying
> > > to keep up with the intel side of .deb's.  Forget about it.  Their community
> > > is much larger and they will always churn out new stuff faster than us.  Go
> > > for a smaller set of stable packages instead of the latest whiz-bang stuff.
>
> Ahh... Here it is again... I think I've said enough about this issue... Use M$
> if you don't like freedom of choice... Even RH/SW have a lot of packages.

Don't get agrresive ...

> > It's true that the
> > large number of packages makes the selection process a bit painful, but
> > the preselection stuff helps.
>
> I must agree here, 'a bit painful', but I think that's an cheap thing to pay, to
> get the DIVERSITY!

I thought apt will allow for the selection of meta-packages and ease the handling of packages a bit ?

> > > 6) dselect needs a major overhaul.  Its key mappings are non-intuitive and
> >
> > You should take a look at apt.
>
> As he said, this is also worked on. The apt crew have done quite a nice piece of
> software here, and it's being continusly improved...

i should try it also. what is the status of it ?

Friendly,

Sven LUTHER