Re: New relases of GNOME / The redhat and GNOME relationship

On Thu, 24 Sep 1998, Jarrod Henry wrote:

> I mean, think about it.. people backlashed harshly against KDE's use of
> QT.. and now we're seeing redhat literally BRAG about how it's doing
> GNOME.  The authors and designers are not thanking the Linux
> community...only redhat.  And to make matters worse, they throw in a blurb
> about the Debian maintainers being slow.

You are misunderstanding and overreacting, and you don't even know what
you're talking about.

One of the Red Hat guys said just today:

"It is your project, afterall, and don't think for a moment we don't
realize that at the Labs."

Of course Red Hat is going to publicize the fact that they're involved,
and well they should. If you do something brag-worthy, you get bragging
rights.

But they aren't keeping anyone else from contributing, or bragging, or
otherwise participating. And the announcement was not made by them; it was
made by Miguel who lives in Mexico.

And they didn't say the Debian maintainers were slow. They just said the
Debian packages aren't out yet. Which is *true*, and more helpful to users
than failing to mention Debian at all.

> No, Redhat does NOT compile and test GNOME.  USERS do.  Redhat just pays
> them off by giving them webspace.

Bzzt. Red Hat has 6 or 7 full time people coding for Gnome. However, this
thank you was just for making a particular release, .30.

That all said, you are perfectly free to fork Gnome and start your own
project that does not have Red Hat involved. It's just that you would look
like an idiot. Red Hat is plainly not the enemy here, if you've seen the
facts.

Havoc