Re: addition to debian standards

All of this discussion about GNU standards only applies to Makefiles,
not to debian/rules.  It's just unreasonable to expect a maintainer
to rewrite Makefiles to comply with the GNU coding standards.

All we need is something that:
    * Makes Debian source dists pentium optimisation compliant
    * Doesn't mess with the variables in the Makefiles.
    * Is easy for the maintainers to implement.

After reading Tyson's first post I want to change my suggestion
for implementing this to having two new standards:

    a) Each rules file (for which it is applicable) must allow
       the -O flag to be changed from the command line via
       the DEBIAN_O variable.  This can be ignored if higher
       optimisations are known to break a program.

    b) Each rules file (for which it is applicable) must allow
       the -m flag to be set from the command line via
       the DEBIAN_M variable.  This variable should never
       be ignored.

--

Matthew Parry
<mettw@bowerbird.com.au>