Re: Upgrade & Kernel Problems

Hi,
>>"Kevin" == Kevin Traas <ktraas@netmaster.ca> writes:

 Kevin> No, there are no "tecra drivers"....  Whatever kernel-package
 Kevin> is doing, it's making kernel's that are not compatible with
 Kevin> tecra (and other) notebooks....

	There is indeed a kernel patch that removes the problem that
 tecras have. However, it is not technically a driver.

	Secondly, kernel-package is doing nothing wrong -- it is
 merely building a bzImage package, the default, since you did not
 instruct it not to. The bzImage kernel, trying to expand into
 extended memory, messes up the cache.

	kernel-package would have been happy to create a zImage kernel
 had you told it so -- and that would have most likely solved your
 problem too.

 Kevin> Like I said, I did what works for me - and that's making
 Kevin> kernels "by hand".  I've never seen any mention of *why* the
 Kevin> base kernels don't work, only that they don't.  So, until I
 Kevin> know the why, I'll stick with what works.

	Fine. But don't spread the FUD about kernel package just
 because you don't know what is going wrong. It is not as if
 kernel-package is rocket science; and even a cursory look at the man
 page would have revealed the --zImage option.

	I am documenting this in the README now.

	manoj
--
 I accept chaos.  I am not sure whether it accepts me.  I know some
 people are terrified of the bomb.  But then some people are terrified