Re: addition to debian standards

On 23-Sep-1998, Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org> wrote:
> Previously Tyson Dowd wrote:
> > Not if CFLAGS is defined as
> >
> > # Note must compile with these options or horrible things happen
> > # after running for 3 days with lots of important data.
> > CFLAGS = -fPIC -fno-builtin -g -Wall
>
> Then that code is plain wrong. It should do:
>
> # Note must compile with these options or horrible things happen
> # after running for 3 days with lots of important data.
> CFLAGS += -fPIC -fno-builtin -g -Wall

Not portable.

That is a gnumake-ism, not part of make at all.

You can't put that in a Makefile and use it on all machines.
The system make on IRIX 5.2 for example will barf on it (I just
checked).

Since we often use portable code, I don't think it would be a good
idea to expect it to use non-portable constructs.

Besides, += can only do concatenation, what you really want is
appending, because if you give an optimization option you don't
want it overriden by the given optimization options.

I honestly think it is a bad idea to mess with CFLAGS.  A new
variable would be better.  Each source package could put the new
variable exactly where it belongs, or ignore it if it is
dangerous/meaningless.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net