Re: Info sucks?

On Thu, 17 Sep 1998, Philip Thiem wrote:

>Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 12:09:41AM -0500, Philip Thiem wrote:
>> > and that's how open it.   Pico, is by far an very simplistic editor, and
>> > I used it extensively for a long time.  Info if you use info is not
>>
>> pico is painful painful painful. I would rather use EDLIN, quite seriously.
>>
>pico is still simplicity all the key are at the bottom.  It though is a
>very weak editor.

Just to add my $0.005 to the discussion.  I use pico for emails because it
(1) comes nicely integrated with PINE and (2) is easier for email style
writing.  It auto wraps moderately well.  It has a paragraph format
control sequence, a line delete sequence and that's pretty much all I find
myself needing for email 99.5% of the time.  The other 0.05% of the time I
just pipe the text out to vi and do whatever...

I use vim for other text editing because it's moderately lightweight.
emacs loaded too slow while I was choosing my editor path so didn't get a
look-in.

To be honest I've forgotten how this whole thread started, but lets not
forget that a text editor should be suited to the task at hand.  To take
the discussion a stage further, linux is far from perfect.  Yet what
matters is that it does (for me) everything that's critical, most of
what's desirable and until I either write stuff or wait for other people
to write stuff that suits me just fine.

- dave

--

   |     oOOooO           /  dsb3@earthlink.net
 --|    oOobodoO        /   We're just two lost souls, swimming in a
 --|     ooOoOo       /    fish bowl, year after year.  Running over