Re: "Official CD" screwups (Was: Why only one non-free section?)

On Thu, Sep 17, 1998 at 03:05:39PM +0100, Charles Briscoe-Smith wrote:
> >> (This system is kind of similar to the Windows driver installation
> >> system, although hopefully we can avoid the constant "where is your
> >> Win95 CD, where is your driver CD, where is your Win95 CD..." routine).
> >
> >possible-devices: /dev/hdc /dev/sdb /dev/sdc /dev/sde
>
> But then, this won't catch my cdrom drive, which is on /dev/hda.
> (/dev/hdb is a floppy, and /dev/hdc is my hard disk.)  And some people
> will have their cdrom in more obscure places still.

Um.

That above was a config file line you set containing devices you have which
may contain mountables with Debian dists on them---ie anything bigger than a
floppy drive might qualify.

> Linux 2.2 should improve the situation tremendously, though; /proc in
> 2.1 gives a huge amount of information about the system.  You can, for
> example, find all the cdrom drives on the system by looking in
> /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/, and can identify and classify other ide drives by
> looking in /proc/ide/hd?/.  This would be the -right- way to do it, and
> far better than using a static list.
>
> If the rescue disk's installer could be modified to use all this
> information, it could really improve the install process.

2.1.x does not give me all the info I want on the IDE and SCSI systems.  I
wanna be able to with /proc find where a Zip drive is.  Or rather, any IDE
or SCSI removable device and what /dev/?d? device is connected to it.