Re: intent to package: mocka modula-2 compiler

John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.Arizona.EDU> writes:
> 	I guess since Mocka is in non-free now, I could include BEG with
> it.  But it will be linked against libc5, so I really shouldn't, anyway.

I've got the sources of BEG V1.83 and can send you an elf binary
linked against glibc-2.0.7.  You can use this version to generate
backends in C and Modula-2.

> On 11 Sep 1998, Christian von Roques wrote:

> 	I looked pretty thoroughly around the net for the last free
> version [of cocktail]. I got 9209, which claims to be the last free
> version.  Are you saying that there is some way to use rex and lalr
> to produce the Scanner.tab and Parser.tab files needed to build the
> tools in cocktail ?

The following are excerpts of rex/src/Makefile of a Cocktail from 1992:
# Scanner.mi Scanner.md Scanner.Tab:      rex.rex
# 	  $(BIN)/rex -di rex.rex;
# Parser.mi Parser.md Parser.Tab: rex.lalr
# 	  lalr -b -d rex.lalr;

I'm not absolutely sure, that my 1992 version of Cocktail actually is
Cocktail-9209.

> Mocka looks pretty nice btw.  It sure chews up code fast.

Mocka was developed on PCS-10 and PCS-20 machines with Motorola 68010
and 68020 CPUs.  The handwritten 680x0-backend of Mocka generates
object-files in a.out-format directly.  This is significantly faster
than emitting an assembler text file and using an assembler, which is
what the i386, SPARC, and Mips versions of Mocka do.  Compared to gcc,
Mocka is much faster, but does not need to use cpp and uses a simpler
IR and no strong optimizations.

	Christian.