Re: Info sucks?

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 09:39:46AM -0400, Avery Pennarun wrote:
> vi over emacs ... _both_ interface systems were designed years ago
> for Unix geeks
[snipped as marked]

Actually, Emacs originated on the ITS of MIT AI Lab, which is, as far
as I have been able to find out, _very_ different from Unix.

> running terminals without arrow keys

This part is probably right.

I've been using Unixish systems for three years now and computers in
general for some seven years (I know, I know, I'm young) and after
some experience with sed and awk I've found ed be the most intuitive
of all editors.  Not vi, not Emacs, but ed.  I use Emacs since I don't
remember what I had just typed, but I love ed.  It's consistent, it's
a model for UI's (at least for an excercise I've been doing the past
few days), it's really everything.  You can read more in the classic
post.

That was the mandatory Editor Rant.  To get back to the topic of Info
Sucks...  well, it doesn't.  Its interface is Emacs-like so I know how
to use it, and it's a simple text-based system.  You know what really
sucks?  It's the HTML docs.  If I want to read text-based docs, I'll
read info, not Lynx.  If I want to print the docs or view them on X,
I'll rather use the excellent typesetting facilities of TeX than the
very poorly performing ones browsers typically have.  And HTML is a
crappy language anyway - for example, there's no way to extend its
poor logical markup capabilities.

Just my FIM 0.02. ;-)

        Antti-Juhani
--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho <gaia@iki.fi> ** <URL:http://www.iki.fi/gaia/> **

          All GNU users have more.  Most of them have less.
                       Some of them have most.