Re: Debian too big? (Re: intent to package: gmt generic mapping tools)

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 04:51:55PM +0200, Sven wrote:
> > Debian is near a size break point right now.  binary-i386 is close to not
> > fitting on a single CD.  What can be done?
>
> 3: use bzip2 instead of gzip ?

This wont work:
1) This would suck for people on 486s and 386 and those who are low on RAM
bzip2 is a pig.
2) This is only a temporary solution. Even if it cuz the size of the
archive in half (which it wont come anywhere near that), eventually
we will come up to overflowing again.

> can this be done, license wise ?

from the control file:
 bzip2 is a freely available (GNU GPL'd), patent free, high-quality data
 compressor.  It typically compresses files to within 10% to 15% of the best
 available techniques, whilst being around twice as fast at compression and
 six times faster at decompression.

looks fine to me I guess we COULD use it.

-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"