Re: Debian too big?

On Tue, Sep 15, 1998 at 10:30:04AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Michele Bini wrote:
> > What about creating specialized distributions or add-on CDs containing
> > this and similar data (such as star database)?
>
> Hey, I'd like `star' data on the CD if it came with sotware to draw the
> sky for a given position and time, and I'm not that kind of scientist.
>
> > (That is, scientific tools remain in the main distribution, including small
> > databases, but the full ones are only put in 'scientific' CDs).
>
> I think once Debian is too big to put on a single CD, and is forced to be a
> multi-CD distribution, then we can easily afford to add a 57 Mb coastline
> data set so that Junior can use Debian to draw maps for the class project.
> (It's a dataset that's not limited to scientists).  Heck, I'd put datasets
> of all resolutions on the CD :-).

As we have to decide which things go in which CD, I would like having a
"core" CD and "add-on" CDs with specialized sections that may be of
interest only to a small fraction of our users (our current electronics,
hamradio and math sections come to mind).

That way, without compromising the quality of our distribution, we would
make things easier for computer magazines that can't afford to include
the whole CD set, or small distributors, that may offer a cheap "core
Debian" product.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es