Wacky thing with a dialin ppp server

Hello all:

I hope someone can help me. I have no other places to look.
Recently I have upgraded a dialin ppp server from bo to hamm,
current kernel is 2.0.35. When the system wants to run, its
100% functional.

What happens is, everything runs fine for about 2 days. Then the
dedicated link to the internet stops -- but the link is not dropped.
When this happens, no one can dialin. -- connections are refused.
Additionally I can't see the network. If I issue a route command,
nothing shows up.

I run poff, then pon, the primary link is dropped and re-initiated and all
is fine.
Following the pon I can't read my utmp file -- but if I reboot the server,
all is fine and via sar I can see on-line consumption.

If anyone has encountered this scenario, I would be interested in hearing
from you. Should more info be required, let me know what you want.

Peter Iannarelli
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Iannarelli;Peter
FN:Peter Iannarelli
ORG:GenX Internet Laboratories
TITLE:Engineer
TEL;WORK;VOICE:1+ 416-929-1885
TEL;WORK;FAX:1+416-929-1056
ADR;WORK:;Madison;20 Madison Ave.;Toronto;Ontario;;Canada
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Madison=0D=0A20 Madison Ave.=0D=0AToronto, Ontario=0D=0ACanada
URL:http://www.genxl.com
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:peter@genxl.com
REV:19980906T222318Z
END:VCARD