Intent to package Arla, and some questions about kernel includes

I'm trying to build arla, a free AFS client.

But I'm having a problem. It's looking for include/linux/modversions.h, which
doesn't seem to be present in the libc6-dev package. This file seems to be
generated by the kernel build process, so it seems a bit odd that arla would
be looking for it. Should arla be using a different include file? or should
there be a version of such a file in the libc6-dev package? or should I be
using -I/usr/src/kernel-headers type parameter?

greg