Re: Free Software Clarification

"Greg Vence" wrote:

> The only potential problem I'd see is in his intent to keep rights to
> 'eventual commercial distribution.'  It seems we're going through
> something quite similar with X.

Yes, but that's allowed.  Isn't it?
His intent is not to sell it, but wouldn't want someone else to make a
bundle on his back.

> The rest of what you described follows the GPL quite well.  The only
> chage is here when GPL would say that there can _never_ be a commercial
> release of this code.

But the license doesn't apply to the copyright holder.  He would be allowed
to sell a future (probably enhanced) version, but could not withdraw the
original GPL version from circulation.  Thus the users are `protected'
in the sense that the free version will also be free.

Am I correct?
--
Peter Galbraith, research scientist          <GalbraithP@dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Maurice Lamontagne Institute, Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada