Fwd: hc-cron-0.9beta - cron for home computers

This seems like a better design than anacron to me. What do others think?

From: fbraun@po-box.mcgill.ca (Felix Braun)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.announce
Subject: hc-cron-0.9beta - cron for home computers
Date: Thu,  3 Sep 1998 10:51:41 GMT

Home Computer Cron V0.9beta
- ---------------------------

Does your computer run 24 hours a day? Are you establishing uptime records
that would scare users of other OS's? If so, this program is not for you.
However, if you turn your computer off at least once a day, like the rest of
us, you might find it quite helpful. This program is a modification of Paul
Vixie's cron daemon that is intended for ``home computers'' i.e. computers
that don't run all the time. Basicly what it does in addition to standard
cron behaviour, is to remember the time it was shut down in the file
/var/lib/cron.lastrun (or something similar) then reads it back at startup
and looks whether any jobs have occured while it was down. If so, these are
scheduled and executed one every minute. The files included in this
distribution are those of the original vixie-cron3.0.1 with only minor
changes, except for hccron.c which contains the additional code.

I hacked this piece of code together because I was annoyed that standard
cron didn't run the jobs regularly on my laptop. The same problem is solved
by anacron (a program from the Debian Linux distribution); however I felt,
that adding yet another program to startup was the wrong approach. So I took
a deep breath, downloaded the sources to vixie-cron (actually the patched
version that is included in RedHat5.0) and tried my best. However, I don't
really feel like my knowledge of C and programming in the UNIX environment
is sufficient for such a project (also I have a thesis to write in real
life, and it isn't in computer science). So I'd be happy if a *real*
programmer could take the code, improve it, make it portable and so on.

That being said, the program works nicely on my computer, however I don't
guarantee it will on yours. If you or your computer take any damage from
running this program (or looking at the source :), I refuse any liability.
My additions to the code are placed under the GNU General Public License
(Version 2 or later), please see the file COPYING for details.

Felix Braun <fbraun@po-box.mcgill.ca>

Begin3
Title:          hc-cron
Version:        0.9 beta
Entered-date:   27/08/1998
		used cron daemon. Like the original program it runs specified
		jobs at periodic intervals. However, the original crond relies
		on the computer running continuously, otherwise jobs will be
		missed. This problem is addressed by hc-cron, that is indended
		for use on 'home-computers' that are typically turned off
		several times a day; hc-cron will remember the time when it
		was shut down and catch up jobs that have occurred during
		down time when it is started again.