Re: PAM still a goal for slink?

On Wed, Sep 02, 1998 at 12:07:03PM +0000, Duncan Thomson wrote:
> Having looked at the debian project history document, the aims for slink
> appear to be FHS compliance, integration of APT, and the appearance of
> GNOME.

> Previously, I'd thought that PAM integration was a goal of slink too.  Has
> this fallen by the wayside, or is it still a goal?  Is it progressing -
> are any of the base packages already PAM-ised in slink?

Not that I'm aware of. I suspect that the best way of getting PAM in slink
is to find a small dedicated group of volunteers to PAMify packages (and
establish communication with the upstream PAM developers) and provide the
regular package maintainers with easily integratable patches for PAM
support.

Additionaly, the last PAM packages release that was done by the maintainer
was in March 1997. Klee, perhaps it is time to find new maintainer for them?

> At the moment, I don't need PAM, but in six months time, I will.  RedHat
> supports PAM, and has done for several releases.  I feel PAM integration
> is too important to disappear from slink's goals... and I don't want to
> have to change to RedHat just to get PAM support...

I think that with our new dedication to achieving timely releases, the
emphasis on release goals has diminished somewhat. Don't expect the slink
release to be postponed because it isn't fully PAMified yet. Instead, if you
want to see a fully PAMified slink, work on it.

Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig