Re: About the GPL

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:23:28 -0400 Avery Pennarun wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 09:55:33PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> >
> > > I'd say you're right; it isn't acceptable.
>
> Uh... guys?

Just, to clarify (maybe I was misunderstood):

On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 09:55:33PM +0200, David Frey wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998 15:34:30 +0200 fog@irfmn.mnegri.it wrote:
> >     It is aceptable to sell a CD with the binary part of a linux
> > distribution and simply point the users to the ftp site for the
> > sources? I think not, because the point 3b in the license says
> > you have to give the sources for a small fee and that's not the
> > case here in europe where the telephone calls cost a lot.
> > Also the user can have a CD but no a modem, and not distributing
> > the sources on the CD you simply deny her her right to access
> > the sources.
> >
> >     Or I am wrong and it is perfectly acceptable?
> I'd say you're right; it isn't acceptable.

I refer to the statement above, i.e. only saying to the customer
``But you can download it from ftp://ftp.debian.org/...'' without
offering a mean to get the source directly from the vendor.

> >From /usr/doc/copyright/GPL:
> 	...provided that you also do one of the following:
> 	a) ...
> 	b) Accompany it with a written offer, valid for at least three
> 	    years, to give any third party, for a charge no more than your
> 	    cost of physically performing source distribution, a complete
> 	    machine-readable copy of the corresponding source code, to be
> 	    distributed under the terms of Sections 1 and 2 above on a
> 	    medium customarily used for software interchange; or,
> 	c) ...

This is not the same as b)!

> Just offer to make them a gold CD if they really want one.  The "cost of
> physically performing source distribution" is the cost of a gold CD, plus
> shipping, plus the time of the person you have to hire to babysit the
> writer.
Yes, I agree. This is legal and totally different from saying
``ftp it from ...''.

David
--
David Frey (B98D36A9) = 51F35923114FC864 7D05FF173C61EFDE
  -- Henry Spencer