Re: Wanting to packge ultrasound drivers.

Chris McKillop <cdmckill@warg.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> 	Is anyone maintaining the ultrasound project's Gravis Ultrasound
> device driver package?  The ultra-mod package in Hamm is built for an
> older kernel and won't load on my Hamm system and there have been many
> new releases of the driver since the last package has been made.  It
> doesn't appear that a newer one is in slink either.  I am not currently
> a package maintainer for anything else (just moved from RH to
> Debian actually, and I am really enjoying both the documentation and
> the structure of things) but I would be willing to take on this if the
> current maintainer isn't going to anymore.  What is the formal process
> to do this?  Contact the old maintainer and wait a period of time?

I'm the maintainer (at least until now :-)  You can easily build a module for your kernel directly from the source of the Debian package.  Just download and unpack it and run a dpkg-buildpackage (make sure you have the kernel headers for your current kernel version installed).

I know the package is a couple of minor versions behind, but I didn't see the need for upgrading it since the Linux Ultrasound Project has been superseeded by the new ALSA Project (check http://alsa.jcu.cz/).  There are packages for that in slink maintained by Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@debian.org>.

Best regards,

M. S.

Martin A. Soto J.                           Profesor
Departamento de Ingenieria de Sistemas y Computacion
Universidad de los Andes      masoto@uniandes.edu.co