Did something happen to the GNU install-info?

I'm working on the new emacs 20.3 pacakge, and the install fails
because it can't find install-info.  After checking, there's only one
version, but it's in /usr/sbin which is not in the path.  Further, the
one in /usr/sbin is the Debian version, not the GNU version.  This
used to work.  Does anyone know what happened to the GNU version?

Note that I don't need the GNU install-info for anything other than to
install the relevant entries into debian/tmp, but I do need it for
that.  I can write a dummy script if I need to, but first I'd like to
figure out what happened.