Seyon's copyright.

In light of recently found security hole in seyon, I think we should reexamine
whether we can distribute it at all.  Seyon has the following copyright:

  Seyon is Copyright (c) 1992 of Muhammad M. Saggaf. Seyon is not
  public domain. Permission is granted to use and distribute Seyon
  freely for any use and to sell it at any price without reference to
  the copyright owner provided that in all above cases Seyon is intact
  and is not made part of any program either in whole or in part and
  that this copyright notice is included with Seyon. Permission is
  also granted to modify the source as long as the modified source is
  not distributed.

The way I read it is we can't distribute the binaries, because there is no
explicit permission to distribute binaries from modified source.  Also,
depending on how you read it, we can't even distribute it as a source package,
because there is no explicit permission to do that either.

I believe that "when not explicitly stated, it is prohibited" principle
applies in both cases above.  I know this matter has already been discussed,
but the last thing I found with regards to this thread is maintainer's (Steve
McIntyre) intention to contact the author.  Judging from Alan Cox's reaction
on bugtraq, seyon's author has been documented to drop off the net.

It looks like we definitely should drop this package, but I wanted to make
sure I am not missing anything before I file a bug against ftp.debian.org .

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@igoria.net