Re: Name clashes [Was: Intent to package: molecular biology programs

On 28-Aug-1998, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:
> On Friday 28 August 1998, at 15 h 17, the keyboard of Stephane Bortzmeyer
> <bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr> wrote:
>
> > - many programs, since they come from different origins, have the same
> > name. At least three "scan" executables to put in /usr/bin, besides MH's
> > scan. Should I create a /usr/gensoft tree, like we do here to prevent
> > name clashes? (Yes, I know only X11 does that on Debian, but the set of
> > all biology programs is almost as large.)
>
> For instance, the Phylip package has a "factor" program and shellutils has one, too. How should we handle such situations on Debian?
>
> 1) Add a diversion: no, the two "factor" are completely unrelated.
> 2) rename Phylip's factor to phylip-factor. But it confuses users who will not find it. And it's not consistent (or should I rename all programs phylip-*?)
> 3) Create a /usr/gensoft tree, add /usr/gensoft/bin in the standard PATH and here we go. Heavy.

How about
	- "phylip factor"
*and*
	- /usr/lib/phylip/bin/factor

The user can change their path if they would like "raw" access to the
programs, and use the phylip wrapper if they would prefer that.
README.debian can tell the user about this convention.

--
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.     - Benjamin Franklin

Tyson Dowd   <tyson@tyse.net>   http://tyse.net