Re: [RFC] Exim as standard Debian MTA?

On 28 Aug 1998 21:38:35 -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

>	It is not a hacked up version of regex. It does not nneed to
> be, a general purpose regex engine shall serve really poorly for
> rewrite rules. It is a specialized matching language, whose tokenizer
> is optimized for the requirements of SMTP address rewites.

    Let's just say I don't agree at all.  I know that I can and would do a
much better job with, say, pcre than I would with Sendmail's implimentation.
Funny that I pick that, isn't it?  ;)

> which you seem to have missed the point of. Configuration files are
> read by programs. Configuration files need be written by
> humans. Seems like something that takes the input in a format
> readable by humans, and converts it into a fromat readable by
> machines is a good thing.

    Except that isn't what is done with the m4 scripts, is it?  It cuts and
pastes other configuration files together to give a good base, but anything
specific still has to be done with that hacked together language.

    If an O is followed by a space it is presumed that what follows is a long
form configuration statement.
OQ
O QueueDirectory

    To me that seems like a hack since one could just scan for section
headers and keywords instead of hacking it into that ancient thing.

--
             Steve C. Lamb             | Opinions expressed by me are not my
    http://www.calweb.com/~morpheus    | employer's.  They hired me for my