Re: Linuxconf

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Craig Sanders wrote:

> On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Federico Di Gregorio wrote:
>
> > is someone working on Linuxconf? Some time ago there was a lot of
> > talking, then 2.0 release took all my/our attention... I am sure
> > everybody agrees on the fact that Debian should have GUI configuration
> > tools...
>
> i don't agree.
>
> sure, it might be *nice* to have GUI config tools for newbies, but it's
> far from essential.
>
> i am in favour of *optional* GUI configuration tools which do NOT
> invalidate or in any way interfere with the ability to edit a config
> file with a text editor(*)
>
> i am strongly opposed to any GUI config tool which was either essential
> or which interfered in any way with editing text files with a text
> editor(*).

I agree, BUT I think it is important that a GUI config tool is developed -
the only way linux is going to become more widely used is if it becomes
somewhat more newbie-friendly, and a GUI config program would certainly
help in this regard. I agree entirely that those of us who want to use
emacs :p should be able to continue to do so unaffected.

> i can not comprehend that people actually believe that something is
> magically easier just because it has a few graphics in a window and forces
> you to take your hands off the keyboard to use the mouse.   That just
> seems bizarre and wildly counter-intuitive.

Yes, but a lot of newbies come from W9*, which _is_ bizarre and wildly
counter-intuitive :)

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo