Re: [offtopic] Earth calling Steve... (was: Re: Naming of new 2.0 release )

On Thu, Aug 27, 1998 at 07:04:11PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
<snip>

> >Do you really want to encourage ``Is this still compatible with 2.0.1?''=
> >questions, or would you prefer that people assume that it's going to work
> >with 2.0 r1, because 2.0 r1 IS ``Debian 2.0'' ?
>     Yes.  Educate the people to what the x.y.z notation really means.

Ok steve,

I haven't posted on the topic before now, and though I am reluctant (the
topic has gone on for long enough) I thought I'd make a comment on this.

You agree that we should educate people as to what the x.y.z notation really
means, or more to the point that the .z is ONLY a revision, not a full
release.

This is one advantage (and possibly the only real advantage) to naming
the realease 2.0 r1.  Users will hopefully now more easily realise that the
r only indicates a revision (instead of an obscure 2nd '.').  This can be made
even more obvious if CD vendors highlight the fact that it is ONLY a revision.
Then even if people do get used to the x.y rz notation, they will at least
know that it indicates revisions instead of whole releases.  Also, there
should be no need for further change after that (except maybe more emphisis
o n the r being revision).

From what I see the r issue can be used to educate (and if nothing else it
might keep the vendors happy).

Just another 2c worth.

Chris

REALITY.SYS corrupted: Reboot universe? (Y/N/Q) ...Debian GNU/Linux
Reply with subject 'key' for PGP public key.  KeyID A9E087D5