Re: dpkg suggestion

On Mon, Aug 24, 1998 at 11:01:35PM +0200, Vincent Renardias wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>
> > what about some flag for packages "has no use of it's own" ?
> > with more and more library packages, you don't need them unless
> > some application is useing them. when you are removeing tha last package,
> > that needed such a package, dselect could suggest to remove the package, too.
>
> I love the idea!
> AFAIK, we still don't have any good way to know which installed libraries
> are unused...

Well you could have it just check package dependancies then if nothing
needs it then have dpkg mention that nothing needs it acording to
"its database"
then offer to either remove it, leave it, OR ldd every file in the file
system in an effort to see if it is used :)

Of course thats a bit system intensive and coulkd take quite some time...
maybe skip anything in /bin /sbin /usr/bin /usr/sbin
(because good system admins don't place anything outside of
/usr/local and /home)....or at worst...search them last ;)

-Steve