Re: developer database comments

> 	I agree with Steve's remarks, its difficult to define what a developer whats private
> or public, and that's mainly a decission of the developer.

As stated originally, this is still under development. There was a big discussion
about this quite a while ago and the work I did was based upong that.
If we can come up with concrete ideas that can be agreed upon, they will
be implemented.

I hope to create a file to be linked from the main db page which will give more
information on the goals, implementation and security issues.

> 	BTW, Jay, I would like to know how come I don't have a PGP key listed?
> 	My PGP key IS in the Debian keyring so I don't have any idea why it is not
> 	present in the database.

As this is mostly designed to work out the form of the db, populating the db
was not a high concern. When everything is formalized more work will be put
into getting the data correct.

> 	Now that I am at it, I also sent the geographical information to Phil Hands (listed
> in the main site as maintainer of the xearth file with developers info, although it has not
> been updated since April 25, 1997) of three developers (easy, since we live in the same city).
> Who's in charge of maintining up to date the xearth info? I suppose this file was used to
> derive the location of the developers who have this info in the database, if so, either it has
> to be removed from the main site and "automagically" builded when db.debian.org is up and
> running or it has to updated... The url is http://www.debian.org/devel/developers.xearth

Automating creation of things like this is one of the goals of the db project.
Once it is easy for developers to add this information, it will be trivial to
keep the xearth file up to date.

As for the xearth file, I don't consider it very useful in its current state.
Developers are concentrated in population centers so the xearth image is a
mess. The idea is good, but the implementation needs to be worked on.

Jay Treacy