Re: Using Debian GNU/Linux as base for commercial linux

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Philip Hands wrote:

> > However, with these rules, if someone uploads a new package named
> > binary-frobnicator-2.44.1-2 you'll ignore it.  Unless I'm missing
> > something obvious, this is another case where globs are not the right
> > tool for the job.
> >
> > What I really want to say is:
> >
> > + .*/binary-(i386|all)/?
> > - .*/binary-[^/]*/?
>
> How does that fail to exclude  binary-frobnicator-2.44.1-2  ?
>
> Seems like the  ``-'' pattern still matches to me.

the trailing "/" on the pattern makes the difference.

binary-frobnicator-2.44.1-2.deb is a file, and therefore doesn't have a
trailing /, so it doesn't match the exclude pattern.

".*/binary-[^/]*/?" matches every string which contains "/binary-"
followed by 0 or more characters which are NOT "/", followed by a "/"
and at least one more character.

> I agree that regexps would be nice as an option --- I think it's been
> mentioned on the rsync list --- feel free to raise it again.

i like rsync. the one thing it is missing is regexp patterns - if it did
regexps, i'd switch to rsync immediately. it's hard enough to get the
exclusions(*) just right with regexps in fmirror, it would be impossible
with just shell style globbing - globbing is inadequate.

With regexps, however, i could easily convert my fmirror configs to
rsync in/exclude lists (either with vi or by writing a little script to
do the job for me)

(*) i mirror parts of debian at work (binary-i386, slink, hamm,
project/experimental, doc, indices, and other dirs). i also mirror a
smaller subset of debian (the bare minimum needed to keep my 5 home
debian boxes up to date with the latest unstable) at home from my work
mirror.

craig

--
craig sanders