Re: more from Linux Foundation

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 10:09:55AM +0200, Christian Meder wrote:
> Just slightly offtopic. I read the term 'not-for-profit' sometime ago. Is
> there a difference between 'non-profit' and 'not-for-profit' companies ?

What I heard was, "non-profit" organizations are not *allowed* to make
a profit.  If their revenues exceed their expenses, they must dispose of
the money in some legally approved fashion.  "Not-for-profit" I don't think
has a legal existence.  It means the organization in question is telling
you they're not "designed" to make a profit, but if they do, no sweat,
they'll keep the money, and do with it what they will.

This is just what I heard said about the subject.  I can't give you a
reference.

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  Reality is what refuses to go away when
Purdue University                   |  I stop believing in it.