Re: Can we do without non-free?

In article <[🔎] 35DBD808.D5064EA5@hyph.azr.nl>, pa3aba@shadow.ccc.at wrote:

>Here is my point: we want to distribute FREE software. Why do we need to have
>a non-free section? What packages from non-free do we really need?

As I understand it, non-free isn't distributed as part of debian, but it
is just located on the debian servers. Debian is the main distribution.
There are additional directories on the ftp-server like contrib or
non-free (or non-us for some of us) that carry additional server in the
debian format. Whey should debian have any interest in forbidding people
to create packages in the debian format?

"Official" debian consists of main. main consists of 100% free software.
Where is the problem?

bye, Georg

--
http://www.westfalen.de/hugo/