Re: Intent to package??

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Dr. Michael Meskes wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 18, 1998 at 03:08:09AM +1000, Chris wrote:
> > I have just debianized a url redirector that I and a colleague wrote, and
> > I was wondering if it would be useful for inclusion in the debian
> > distribution.
>
> What does it do? Is it similar to the transparent proxy daemon (transproxy)?
>
> Michael

No, nothing so fancy!  It is just a small program, explained below:

The squid proxy server has an option for using an external program to do
redirection of urls requested from the proxy server.  Squid does not
provide this program (however a example of how to write a simple one using
perl and regex's is given).

In our environment we found that using a regex based perl script for url
redirection was adding a significant load to our proxy server, and the
need to edit the program to make any changes was also annoying.

So I and a colleague wrote a utility in C to handle this redirection
operation.  It uses less memory than a similar perl script, and is
configurable via a structured configuration file.  It is this utility I
have packaged and am offering to debian.

Hope that helps,

Chris

Reply with subject 'key' for PGP public key.  KeyID A9E087D5