Re: All of uu.net about to be banned.

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Jules Bean wrote:

> exim was written at Cambrdige, and is used by cambridges mail servers.
> Cambridge's mail servers support a student/lecturer population of about
> 15,000, and several hundred mailing lists, some of which are very large.
> So I have reason to believe that exim is scalable...

The statistic I am soley interested in is time to deliver to 90% of
recipients. For instance, I know that in 2:30 after I hit send this email
will more than likely be in your mailbox. Somehow I don't think exim can
quite manage that same feat :>

There are a few other things that tweak me about it's default setup. A
simple example is this frozen nonsense, on a mail server that handles 150k
outgoing mails I really could care less if some have to be directed at the
postmaster because they are undeliverable. Having them frozen in the queue
is totally unacceptable. My proxy server that runs exim gets one or two
stuck like that a month :<

Just some stats.. murphy.debian.org, our primary list server, is a P90
with 64meg of ram. It averages about 150k outgoing emails a day and has
qmail set to max out at 200 simulateous outgoing connections, it is often
at this limit. Our largest list has about 1300 subscribers, most of the
high traffic ones are above 500 subscribers. The average daily outbound
traffic (1 day average) is 20kbytes/sec. Peak load average today was 15
and average is 1.2

Most traffic is outbound internet traffic and is why we have the obscenely
large outgoing connection limit.

Jason