Re: Using Debian GNU/Linux as base for commercial linux

On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Matjaz Skraba wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I was told that Debian GNU/Linux is encouraged to be used as a base for a
> commercial linux distributions. Is there any documentation needed for us to
> start working on such a project and if so, could someone direct me to the
> right person.
> This would be commercial, national-customized distribution.
>
> Thank you in advance!

I don't know of any documentation on this in particularly.  I suggest that
you install Debian on one or more of your own machines, to become
accustomed to it.  Then decide what special needs your customers have
(presumably you will want to provide/translate some existing
documentation).

As a project. we would value it if anything you created was returned to
the project (under a suitable free licenses).  However, you are not
obliged to do this.

Note that you *are* obliged to provide accessibility to source code for
your customers.

If you are looking at creating a distribution which is very similar to
ours, you may want to look at http://cdiamge.debian.org, where you can get
some CD images (if you have bandwidth to spare..)

Good luck,

Jules