Re: dpkg mechanism suggestion

Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de> writes:
>two new functions for dpkg :
> - dpkg-todo: do this once after work with all packages, or anytime later,
>   at users request.

This might be done with a trivial change to dpkg: Add an option to
dselect and apt-get, which adds an environment variable like
DPKG-NONINTERACTIVE, and *nothing else*.  If the variable is defined,
then postinst can fail (exit 1).  dpkg will record that package as not
configured and (I think) refuse to configure any dependent packages.

That way, we already have the TODO list implemented as part of
/var/lib/dpkg/status.

"present the TODO list" -> "dpkg --configure --pending"

			   - Jim Van Zandt