Re: spice3 has been released

On Mon, Aug 17, 1998 at 04:31:06PM +0100, Joop Stakenborg wrote:

> > There are a lot of programs that can't be exported to some countries
> > (Lybia, Cuba, ...) because of US export laws. It's not the license that
> > makes them non-DFSG free, but the US laws, as is the case for crypto.
> > Perhaps it's the same for spice.
> >

> No, there is no encryption inside spice. It is an electronic circuit
> simulator. It has nothing to do with encryption.

I know (I used it a few years ago). I mean it may be the same case
as crypto (export-restricted material). There are a lot of restrictions
for exporting software (almost any software, not just crypto) to those
non-US-friendly countries. A lot of licenses from the "big guys"
(Digital, IBM, ...) contain similar paragraphs about that stuff.

> I think someone thought it would be nice to write
> 'Free for people friendly to th USA'
> but did not think about the implications.

"Au contraire", I think someone pointed the authors that freely exporting
that software to non-US-friendly countries may be a violation of
export-laws, and they decided to play safe.

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es