What is protocol for handling forwarded bug reports?

     Some time ago I forwarded a wish-list bug against dict-foldoc to
the upstream editor.  A few days later, I received a message from Nag
that included:

> This mail is being sent to you because the indicated bug report has
> been forwarded to the upstream author but not closed.

     This sounds as though the bug should be closed when it is
forwarded, but this doesn't seem proper.  I would expect to hold the
bug open until the upstream author acts upon it.  What is the proper
protocol in this case?

Bob
--
   _