Re: blitz library. egcs1.1 , GPL vs. LGPL

On 12-Aug-1998, John Lapeyre <lapeyre@physics.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

> 	I installed the pre egcs1.1 g++ that Matthias advertised.  Blitz
> builds and runs tests without a hitch.  (It causes the previous egcs g++
> to abort)
> 	The source is very cleanly organized , with nice docs, and builds
> beautifully under egcs. I am waiting to hear from the author about
> including it in debian, because although the code is under the GPL, he is
> trying to get people on his mailing list as a precondition to downloading.
> He also plans to change the license because some people have complained
> that it is restrictive for commercial applications.

Please note that he is well within his rights under the GPL to require
people to join a mailing list, a credit union, or even a cult before
they can download the program from his site.

It's just that he can't require anyone else distributing the software
to do the same.

Tyson.