gnome development and gdk_imlib

I'm trying to do some work on a few gnome apps.  I've downloaded the .25
release from ftp.gnome.org and I'm getting library conflicts:

gnome .25 needs libgtk >= 1.1.1 to compile.  So I installed it,  which
removes libgtk in favor of libgtk1.  I also installed the corresponding
-dev packages.

gnome also needs gdk_imlib.  There are _TWO_ debian packages (gdk_imlib
and libgdk_imlib) which conflict with each other.  And the most recent
gdk (libgdk-imlib) requires the _old_ version of gtk (libgtk rather than
libgtk1).  It appears at the moment that I can't install both gtk 1.1.1
and gdk_imlib.  Help!

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|    PGP Public Key:  http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/index.html#pgpkey    |
|            And if you on tight to what you think is your thing         |
|                you may find you're missing all the rest ...            |
|	         - Dave Matthews,  "Best of What's Around"               |