The best of both release goals

I had an idea that I spewed forth on IRC before I went on my "vacation",
and it didn't get shot down there, so here goes.

First, let me make clear that this is in no way incompatible with the
"release every 3-4 months" goal.

It's obviously valuable to have large-scale goals for the distribution that
transcend individual packages.  Thanks to Joey for putting up a list.

I suggest we organize some of those goals into release goals for Debian
3.0, and only increment the major version number once those goals have been
realized.  This way, we can keep our rapid release schedule, but we also
have a motivational tool as regards the long-term goals.

In the meantime we can have Debian 2.1, 2.2, 2.9, etc., and only once we
have achieved all of the release goals for 3.0 will we have a release
that's called 3.0.

My apologies if someone else proposed this while I was separated from the
Debian Collective Consciousness.

What do y'all think?

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |   To stay young requires unceasing
Purdue University                   |   cultivation of the ability to unlearn