Gnome 0.25/0.26 progress

People seems anxious to get their hands on the packages, so I though
I'd write this to tell you where they are at.

There are still some small issues that are preventing me from making a
release today - I should be able to get them uploaded for Sunday.
FWIW, the RPMs don't seem to be available yet either.

I've been able to compile and update the packaging for all of them.
There were some missing files that needed to be added, and some files
that needed editing, but other than that - it wasn't too hard to get
going.

I've got to thank Rob Walker <rob@varesearch.com> for letting me set
up a chroot environment on their 400MHz Pentium II - the compiles
really fly on there.

I spent some time today testing the partially-completed packages on my
machine here.  There have been some nice additions.  The gnome-panel
program is very unstable in this release.  Unfortunately, the old
gnome-panel from 0.20 doesn't work with the new gnome libraries.
Other apps the depend on the 0.20 gnome libs (ie. gmc) probably won't
work with the 0.25 libs.  Gnome is still pre-release, so they aren't
trying to maintain binary compatibility in the libs from release to
release.

I'll probably need to make a NMU of the imlib packages to correct some
dependency problems.

Also, it appears that the gxsnmp program from gnome is going to have
to go into contrib - because it appears to depend on the MySQL libs.
It'll compile without them, but it just seems to segfault.  I'll adapt
the packaging scripts so that the non-intel porters (ie. James Troup)
can choose to not build it if they don't want to.

I'm going to have to move the gnome-supplied menu entries from
/usr/share/apps - because it seems to conflict with the KDE stuff.
The panel seemed to ignore the KDE files in the 0.20 release, but not
in the 0.25 release.

I need to tighten up the dependencies a bit more as well.  Mixing the
0.20 and 0.25 gnome packages is a bad thing.

Also, programs compiled against the zlib1g in slink don't work with
the one in hamm - there needs to be a whole bunch of versioned
dependencies set up there.

I made a bug-fix release of the gnome 0.20 packages a few days ago.
Unfortunately, they got rejected because I didn't generate a signed
.dsc file.  I'm not going to rebuild those now - I'll just put the
gnome 0.25/0.26 packages up.

Perhaps in a few days I will be able to make a snapshot release of
gnome-panel from the CVS to replace the buggy/unstable one that comes
with gnome 0.25.

Cheers,

 - Jim