Re: slink fetchmail problems

In article <[🔎] 19980807090154.A23471@mgh.harvard.edu>,
	sjc@delphi.com (Stephen J. Carpenter) writes:
> On Fri, Aug 07, 1998 at 11:36:33AM +0000, Ervin D. Walter wrote:
>>
>> Don't know why downgrading fwtchmail cnhanges things unless it doesn't
>> user localhost as the domain in older fetchmails (try fetchmail -v to
>> see what is being used for RCPT TO)
>
> I have the same problem...just did a fetchmail -v....
> reading message 69 of 69 (3842 bytes)
> fetchmail: forwarding to lenny.mgh.harvard.edu
> fetchmail: SMTP> MAIL FROM:<debian-devel@lists.debian.org> SIZE=3842
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 debian-devel@lists.debian.org ... Sender Okay
> fetchmail: SMTP> RCPT TO:<sjc@lenny.mgh.harvard.edu>
> fetchmail: SMTP< 250 '<sjc@lenny.mgh.harvard.edu>' <sjc@(nodomain)> Recipient
> Ok
>
> looks like its using the FQDN my system thinks it has (in reality
> "lenny" is not a valid hostname...but...I am on DHCP and here that means
> I can't get a hostname)
>
> at home I upgraded fetchmail and my mail all got stuck in the
> exim mailq...I looked everyhting was adressed to sjc@localhost

I'm not using exim at the moment, but I recall that there was a simple
config option that told exim to concider localhost as the local
computer in addition to whatevern the FQDN is.  This seems like the
best solution.  I'm not sure why fetchmail changed it's behavior in
newer versions, but I can imagine this will cause trouble for those
people that have been using the default exim configuration with
fetchmail since it is not obvious what the problem is from the
original error message.

Erv