Re: Mirrors

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 03:34:59PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Aug 1998, Adrian Bridgett wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 28, 1998 at 10:25:37PM -0600, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > >
> > > We now have a small list of push-primary mirrors. All of these mirrors are
> > > highly accurate and reliable, more so than ftp.debian.org
> > >
> > > http://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian
> > > http://llug.sep.bnl.gov/debian
> > > http://debian.midco.net/debian
> > > http://www.uk.debian.org/debian
> >
> > I've setup a mirror at work, but it's for internal use only - it's also
> > inside a firewall so it's definitely internal use only <g>.  How many other
> > people are in a similar situation?  If there are a few then it would be
> > worthwhile adding them to the master list.
>
> You don't mirror off master do you??
[moved]
> Most of the mirrors listed above will be running rsync, and most already
> run ftp, please use them.

Nope - I use www.uk.debian.org via rsync like the mirror documentation and
yourself suggest. I must admit that it wasn't a simple procedure of "get
this package and install one of these configuration files" like I had hoped.

> Please people - do not make private mirrors off master, I'm going to have
> to be more strict about this soon (bandwidth is not free you know)

Hence the mirror I've setup - since it's internal it means people can avoid
going through the firewall which is usually slow. This added incentive
should help to ease the load on the other machines a tiny bit.

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Debian Linux  http://www.debian.org  The superior Linux distribution