Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,
>>"Alex" ==   <aqy6633@acf5.nyu.edu> writes:

 >> So if "essential" really means more than "will always be here, so don't
 >> worry about dependencies", the policy manual should reflect that.
 >>
 >> As it stands, many packages have undeclared dependencies on bash.  That
 >> seems to match perfectly with the semantics of an "essential" package.
 >> If it's working, why change it?

 Alex> Because it is not justified technically.

	But, historically, we have made Bash essential. There did seem
 to be a technical reason when we did that, even if circumstances have
 changed since.

 Alex> I don't see why bash should be treated any diferently then,
 Alex> say, tcsh.

	Backwards compatibility? Because we have implied Bash is
 always going to be present, and should not yank the rug out from
 under peoples feet? Because no sufficiently good reason has ben given
 to justify us breaking the promise?

 Alex> What is really essential for the system is the
 Alex> presence of /bin/sh. Since it looks like we shall have an
 Alex> alternatives for /bin/sh link, I can easily imagine systems
 Alex> which may not want to have bash at all.

	All very true. I know systems that do not want Perl
 either. However, the OS does impose some baggage, and our essential
 package are the excess baggage.

 Alex> Argument that many local scripts may use bash directly and
 Alex> expect it to be present doesn't seem to work. I can write
 Alex> scripts in python, or even java (just kidding:) and the only
 Alex> thing I would have to do is install the interpreter I need, I
 Alex> don't see problem with that.

	If ever we made Python essential, and people started writing
 /bin/python scripts; and if anyone made a move to brfeak peoples
 system on a whim, or becuse "it would be nice"; I would object then,
 too.

	manoj

--
 Before he became a hermit, Zarathud was a young Priest, and took
 great delight in making fools of his opponents in front of his