Re: Debian is secure, the debian lists are not.

On Wed, Aug 05, 1998 at 08:47:55PM +0200, Santiago Vila wrote:

> debian lists. This is easily solved by using cookies both for sub*** and
> for un****, but lists.debian.org maintainers do not want to use cookies for
> un***** because they say it is "more work" for them.

Note that even if you are unsubscribed by someone else, you should get a
response back to your _own_ e-mail address telling you so.  I think this
happens.  If not, the list server is quite seriously broken.

Anyway, my understanding was that cookies are meant mainly to stop annoying
people from subscribing you to hundreds of mailing lists without your
permission, as a joke.  Sure, very funny.

On the other hand, even annoying people don't usually think that
unsubscribing you is very entertaining, so I doubt we'll have any mass
unsubscription epidemics in the near future.

That said, if the list server supports unsubscribe cookies, enable
unsubscribe cookies.

Have fun,

Avery

P.S. the person who said "only use cookies if it comes from a different
address" was incorrect.  Mails can be forged, and aforementioned annoying
people could (un)subscribe you that way.