Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 12:39:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: "W. Reilly Cooley, Esq." <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>
To: linux <linux@alcpress.com>
cc: PLUG <PLUG@northwest.com>
Subject: RE: Ease of use

On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, linux wrote:

> Seasoned Linux enthusiasts should help provide newbies with
> DOS-like aliases and scripts and ensure that they're safer
> than those that newbies would develop on their own.

Perhaps the best solution is to do something like Novell did in ver 4
w.r.t. ver 3 commands--running the outdated command produces a message
telling the user what the new command is.  I thought it was obnoxious when
Novell did it because they seemed to change the command names for no good
reason.  In this case, however, I don't think it is inappropriate.  The
user will issue the commands he is used to and be pointed to correct
commands, while not becoming dependent on non-standard compatibility
scripts.

z.B.:

$ del

****** DOS Conversion Guide ******

Under DOS, the command 'del' command removes files and directories.
However, on Unix systems, the standard command is 'rm'.  Please read the
documentation for 'rm' before using it, as it can have dangerous
side-effects.  To do so, issue the command

$ man rm

For quick reference,

$ rm -h

sufficies.

****** DOS Conversion Guide ******

Wil
--
W. Reilly Cooley                         Red Hat 5.1/Linux 2.0.35
Naked Ape Consulting                                FreeBSD 2.2.6

----- End forwarded message -----

	Debian GNU/Linux - www.debian.org