Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

Hi,

 Marcus> On Tue, Aug 04, 1998 at 02:27:36AM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> [...]
 Marcus> I think if you request bash as your shell, you should only do
 Marcus> it when you use bash features that are non-posix.  And then,
 Marcus> yes, I think you should be aware of it and only do it when it
 Marcus> is really necessary.

 >> Why? Why should I only do it if only necesary? Why am I free
 >> to choose lesstif or slang or newt or whiptail, but when it comes to
 >> a shell, the proprietary police shall jump on me?

 Marcus> Policy indeed recommends so already. Quote:
 Marcus>      Restrict your script to POSIX features when possible so
 Marcus>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 Marcus>      that it may use /bin/sh' as its interpreter. If your
 Marcus>      script works with ash, it's probably POSIX compliant,
 Marcus>      but if you are in doubt, use /bin/bash'.

	Oh, for gods sake. Stop mixing the bit about /bin/sh beinng
 any POSIX shell with bash being essential. THEY ARE NOT RELATED.

	Also, Policy applies to pre/post scripts, not user and
 sysadmin and thord party scripts.

 >> Give me one technical reason for asking me to do so.

 Marcus> Debian scripts should use #!/bin/sh whereever possible to get
 Marcus> more aware of bashisms and how they can be avoided. You said
 Marcus> that we should be very strict in what we output and be
 Marcus> liberal in what we accept. You said that you want that it is
 Marcus> possible to point #!/bin/sh to other shells, but this makes
 Marcus> only sense if this shell is used by the Debian scripts.

	What the heck does this have to do with bash being demoted
 from being essential?  Can't you keep your arguments on track?

	I am ignoring the rest of your message, since I have yet to
 see anything relevant. Stop beating a dead horse. The issue of
 /bin/sh being any POSIX has already been decided, and the decision is
 in your favour. Let the rest of us get on with the issue of
 essentialness of bash, if you can't seem to let go of the POSIX
 /bin/sh arguments.

	manoj
--
 Zimmerman's Law of Complaints: Nobody notices when things go right.