Re: Configuration management, version 5

Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > 4. How do the configmodule and the frontend interact?
> > Of course the configmodule and the frontend must exchange data to do their
> > work. We do this in a very simple manor: dpkg starts both the configmodule
> > and the frontend, and connect the stdin/stdout from the module to the
> > stdout/stdin of the frontend. We can then use stdin/stdout to communicate,
> > while still having stderr available to report errors.
>
> I continue to advocate that this creates the wrong sort of 'UI experiance'
> for the user. They are forced to run each script in some arbitary
> sequence

Notice that the new proposal defines the variables _BEFORE_ the config
script runs. This means that a frontend could get all the variable
definitions, and allow the user to browse them the way you want. The scripts
just walk the user through the variable definitions in a given order, but
the frontend has enough information to bypass that.

> and each package must provide such a script even if they only
> need some trivial manipulations. We need to make this simple for the
> package maintainer too!

The script can be as simple as:

#!/bin/cat
INPUT foo
INPUT bar

Notice I used cat. This is pretty damn trivial.

We could even add a tag to the variable like "MustAsk: yes", that means that
the frontend prompts the user for a value for this variable before it even
runs the config script (if there is a config script).

--
see shy jo