Re: Several reasons why debian should not use bash for /bin/sh

On Sat, Aug 01, 1998 at 03:17:14PM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

>    You most certainly also want /var/lib/dpkg, or else you won't be able to use
>    dpkg any more! (Recovering from that is possible, but very time consuming,
>    as all information about installed packages is gone then).
>
> But if he doesn't back up /usr he doesn't care whether the dpkg
> database is backed up, right?  None of the programs are there anymore
> anyway and you have to do a complete reinstall.  However, /etc and
> /home, his data and his customizations, are safe.

But he will know what packages to reinstall (okay, you can guess it frm
/usr/doc too), and which files he is missing.

And if you don't loose /usr, but only /var, you are f*cked up, too,
because you don't have a Debian system any longer (been there).

Well, I agree that home and etc are more important than var, but I find var
pretty useful, too (well, let me say it the other wy round: I missed var a
lot when I accidently deleted it).

Marcus