Intent to package: wmnet (first time for me)

Hi

I came across this sweet program on the net. Apparently, this
package is not yet part of Debian. I asked the programmer if it
was ok for him to .deb it: yes.

Here is my control-File:

Source: wmnet
Section: x11
Maintainer: Philipp Frauenfelder <pfrauenf@niederglatt.lugs.ch>
Standards-Version: 2.4.1

Package: wmnet
Architecture: i386
Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, netbase
accounting
 This little program polls /proc/net/ip_acct and does a few
things with the
 data it gets. The speedometer keeps track of the current speed
per second
 and shows it in a color corresponding to which of rx or tx that
has the
 highest speed at the moment.
 .
 You WILL need ip accounting in your kernel and at least two ip
firewall
 rules This version allows you to specify which accounting rule
to watch for
 tx and rx and you will have to enter them in ipfwadm.

It is the first time for me that I package a program from
scratch. I read both
/usr/doc/debian/FAQ,
/usr/doc/debmake/HOWTO.first_time
and
/usr/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/
They differ in what I have to do in order to contribute to
Debian. The FAQ says that I have to shake hands with the project
administrator (seems reasonable to me :-) ) and request an
account on master etc. (part 14)
The HOWTO just say, that I should release the package with
'release' (point 8) not mentioning the account or the shake
hands (is this a bug?).

Question: is the account on master really necessary also if I
want to upload to chiark?

Thanks in advance.
Philipp